A. VOCABULARY / Fill in the blanks with the appropriate words given.
There is one extra word (4 points):
1. Do the lights on this stereo have any useful ……… or are they only for show?
2. She ended her ……… yesterday and spoke to the police about the accident.
3. The test shows that the ……… of iron in her blood is too low.
4. The music was so loud that ……… him from his work.
5. If the bank refuses to lend them money, it will mean the ……… of their hopes.
6. Each year, factories …….. millions of tons of chemicals into the atmosphere.
7. I'd seen them together so often that I reached the ……… that they were husband and wife.
8. He was badly injured in the accident, but the doctors ……… his life.
B. WORD DEFINITION / Match the definitions in the left column with the words in the right one. There is one extra choice (2 points):
9. able to change without breaking a. embarrassment
10. without any sudden changes b. stretch
11. state of being ashamed of sth c. pattern
12. put arms and legs out straight d. flexible
C. STRUCTURE / Check the correct answer (3 points):
13. I had ….…big breakfast that I didn’t eat anything else for the rest of the day.
1) so 2) such a 3) too 4) enough
14. Can I borrow that book ………you have finished it?
1) when 2) while 3) as 4) whether
15. You can’t carry these heavy bags. Let me …………them for you.
1) to carry 2) carrying 3) carry 4) carried
16. ………we've got a few minutes to wait for the train, let's have a cup of coffee.
1) When 2) While 3) Because 4) Since
17. A dictionary is a useful book ……… you the meaning of words.
1) given 2) gave 3) giving 4) by giving
18. The speaker has to involve his audience ……… asking questions.
1) with 2) into 3) by 4) about
D. STRUCTURE / Complete the following sentences using the words given (3 points):
19. Did you type the letter yourself? (make – my brother)
No, I . . . . . . . . . . . . .
20. The film was very boring. I turned off the TV.
It was such . . . . . . . .
21. Factories help increase pollution. Factories burn coal and oil. (Use an adjective phrase)
Factories . . . . . . . . . . . . . help increase pollution.
E. SENTENCE FUNCTIONS / Match the sentences with the appropriate function a, b, c or d.
There are two extra choices (2 points):
22. The working life of most cars can a. speculating
be increased if they are serviced regularly. b. restating
23. It is estimated that there are three c. defining
million unemployed in the country. d. naming
24. Scientists use an instrument called e. hypothesizing
seismograph to measure and record f. generalizing
information about earthquake.
25. The atmosphere is defined as the
mixture of gases around the Earth.
F. SENTENCE COMPREHENSION / Check the correct answer (4 points):
26. "Keep eye contact by knowing your speech so well that you need to have a quick look at your notes only from time to time." In this sentence the writer tries to ………something.
a. restate b. instruct c. generalize d. speculate
27. "You need calories for all of your body’s functions, whether it is things you think about doing, like brushing your teeth, or things you never think about doing, like breathing." This means that . . . . . . .
a. calories are needed for most body functions
b. brushing and breathing need the same amount of calories
c. we should think while brushing our teeth
d. whatever we do we’ll need calories
28. "The purpose of humor is not to be a comedian but for you to create a comfortable atmosphere and have fun with your audience." This sentence tells us that . . . . . . . . . . .
a. comedians are good speakers too
b. by means of humor you can make your audience relaxed
c. listeners expect you to tell them jokes
d. we have to make fun of the audience
29. "So far, earthquakes cannot be predicted, but anyone, on any day could say this and it would be true. This is because several million earthquakes occur each year."
This sentence tells us that . . . . . . . . . . .
a. the earthquakes are too far to be predicted
b. researchers can’t inform us of the exact time and place of earthquakes
c. anyone knows how to predict an earthquake
d. several million earthquakes occur everyday
G. CLOZE PASSAGE / Fill in the blanks with the best choice (4 points):
Global warming brings with it no guarantees. We don’t know (30) ……… what will happen nor do we know where or when they will make problems. But scientists have a pretty good (31) ……… of what is going to happen. Researchers from different (32) ……… tell us that the possible effects of climate change could be big and, in some (33) ……… , would cause serious problems. Among the (34) ……… effects are increased number of human deaths, (35) ……… of groups of animals and plants, and a dangerous rise in sea levels. With this in (36) ……… , we have to think of the costs of action and
(37) ……… them against the risks of inaction.
30. a) deeply b) mainly c) exactly d) fortunately
31. a) accent b) essay c) measure d) idea
32. a) fields b) forests c) climates d) atmospheres
33. a) choices b) cases c) issues d) layers
34. a) possible b) brilliant c) experienced d) extra
35. a) instruction b) expectation c) projection d) extinction
36. a) public b) fear c) mind d) legend
37. a) weigh b) discuss c) tap d) disturb
H. READING / Read the following texts carefully and then answer the questions (8 points):
You may love one food more than others, but the best choice is to eat a variety. If you eat different foods, you're more likely to get the nutrients your body needs. Taste new foods and old ones you haven't tried for a while. Some foods are more pleasing as you get older. Eat enough fruits and vegetables. Drink water and milk most often. When you're really thirsty, cold water is the No. 1 choice. Kids need calcium to grow strong bones, and milk is a great source of calcium. You probably will want something other than milk or water once in a while, so it's OK to have 100% juice, too. But try to limit sugary drinks.
Listen to your body. What does it feel like to be full? When you're eating, notice how your body feels and when you feel comfortably full. Sometimes, people eat too much because they don't notice when they need to stop eating. Eating too much can make you feel uncomfortable, and over a period of time, it can lead to an unhealthy weight.
38. Why should we eat a variety of foods?
39. What do kids need milk for?
40. Kids should avoid ……… containing too much ……… :
1) milk - water 2) water -milk 3) juice - sugar 4) sugar - juice
41. When thirsty, ……… is preferred.
1) water 2) milk 3) juice 4) fruit
42. The underlined word "pleasing" in line . . . is closest in meaning to:
1) boring 2) agreeable 3) spoilt 4) memorable
Most people in Tehran believe that they are protected from a large earthquake because their city is once in a while shaken by small earthquakes that releases the energy little by little. But unfortunately this is not true. The amount of energy released in a small earthquake is not enough to stop a large one from occurring. A moderate earthquake, of Richter magnitude (= degree) 5, releases only one thousandth (0.001) of the energy of a large magnitude 7 earthquake. For example, a million magnitude 2 earthquakes would release the same amount of energy as one magnitude 6 quake. In other words, 32768 magnitude 2 earthquakes would release the same amount of energy as one magnitude 5. The only thing that the moderate quakes in Tehran may actually tell us is that there will be a larger earthquake.
43. In the first sentence of the text the writer has used ……… function.
1) restating 2) generalizing 3) defining 4) naming
44. The word "moderate" in line . . . is best defined as:
1) very small 2) very big 3) neither big nor small 4) either big or small
45. The energy release during a magnitude 7 earthquake is ……… bigger than a magnitude 5 quake.
1) thousand times 2) 32768 times 3) hundred 4) six
46. According to the passage, ……… .
1) The energy released in a small earthquake is so small that it can’t stop a large one from coming.
2) People in Tehran are not fortunate enough to survive a large earthquake.
3) Most people in Tehran are fortunately protected from a large earthquake.
4) Tehran has never experienced an earthquake, even a small one.
آزمون جمعاً30 نمره دارد.
+ نوشته شده در دوشنبه 16 اردیبهشت1387ساعت 0:56 قبل از ظهر  توسط Taghaddosi Far |
امار سایتخبر نامه